Tuesday, March 25, 2008

GOING GREEN-On the rocks

DAY 7

“I’m going to die. I’m going to die,” I mumbled as I clung for life on the side of the cliff.

“You okay?” Conner asked from below me. I was told not to look down, but I had to.

“Um…no.” I spotted him, grinning up at me. I was stuck. Too scared to go up or down. Man. Why couldn’t he have taken me out for ice cream or something?

“Hang tight,” he called. “I’m coming up.”

Well he’d better, otherwise I’d end up as the lead story on the eleven o’clock news. I heard the murmurs of several people below me, mostly laughing as I pressed my entire body to the rock wall. There were metallic clinks as Conner made his way up.

Finally he was next to me, breathing heavily. “Hi,” he said.

My heart was racing from the danger, but with staring at me like that, my stomach decided to flutter a little, too. “Do you always try to get girls killed on the first date?” I asked.

He smiled. “Only the ones I like.”

So, yeah. We were twenty feet in the air, totally flirting. “You do remember that you have a girlfriend, right?” I had to point it out. Not that I cared at this point.

“She’s not really my girlfriend,” he whispered. “We’ve known each other since kindergarten. She just likes for the other girls to think I’m off limits. Ego thing. I play along. I haven’t really been interested in anyone there anyway.”

Interesting. “And she’d be totally fine with you being here with me right now?”

“Hell, no,” he said, reaching over to clip something onto my harness. “She’s going to have a complete bitch fit.” He paused and looked me over. “That okay with you?”

Damn. He was beyond hot. “I told you,” I said. “I’m not a big fan of red heads.”

Next thing I knew, Conner was climbing above me, his ropes tied into mine as he helped me up the mountain. I’d love to say that it was fun. But it wasn’t. It was freaking scary.

But when I got to the top, I didn’t mind so much. Especially not when he leaned over, and kissed me.

1 comment:

Dreamer3702 said...

Conner is a baaaad boy! How do you pretend to be dating someone? hmmmm...