Thursday, March 20, 2008

GOING GREEN

DAY 8

It was Friday night and I was sitting with my dad watching Wheel of Fortune. Worst part? Him yelling out the wrong answers every five flipping seconds. It used to irritate my mother, too. But that wasn’t the reason she left.

The doorbell rang. My dad and I exchanged a glance and then he nodded for me to answer it. I curled my lip.

“Do I look like the maid?”

“Maid’s clean,” my father said, taking a handful of popcorn. “So…no.”

I laughed and got up, shaking my head as I walked to the entryway. When I opened the door, my eyes widened.

“Hi, Stella,” Conner said, leaning on my doorframe, looking effortlessly sexy.

“H…hi.” Shit. Did I just stutter?

“Our power just went out. Can I get in your basement for a minute?”

“Why? My power’s on.” Although na outage during the bonus round would be super helpful right now.

“Yeah,” he chuckled. “These old houses,” he motioned behind him at the neighborhood. “Our electricity sort of gets tied in and stuff. Anyway, the guy that lived here before you tapped into our electricity. We fixed it, but sometimes our power still goes out. So I need to flip one of your switches.”

Flip my switch? I liked the sound of it. “Oh, okay.” I backed away from the door and as he walked past me, I sniffed him. He smelled GOOD.

“Hey, Sir,” Conner said, raising a hand to my father. My dad looked him over for a moment, maybe trying to figure out if he was my date. Then he said hi.

“He needs to get in the basement,” I said, stopping next to my hot neighbor. I looked down at his feet. They were in worn sandals and his jeans were shredded on the bottom from where they’d dragged on the ground.

“Oh,” my dad said, popcorn visible in between chews. “Your mom told me about that.”

Hm. Glad someone informed me.
I waited at the top of the stairs as Conner messed around with the contents of a hanging metal box. When he came up, I walked him to the door.

I paused there, standing in the doorway, pretending like it didn’t make me crazy to be this close to him.

He tilted his head. “Are you doing anything right now?”

My stomach flipped. “Not really.”

Conner grinned. “Grab your jacket. I’ll get my car.” Then, without another word, he spun around and jogged toward his house.

Stunned. Absolutely stunned. Did…did he just ask me out?

2 comments:

Trish Doller said...

“Maid’s clean,” my father said, taking a handful of popcorn. “So…no.”

Hahahahahahahahaha!

Dreamer3 said...

Ooooo... Trish is going to be pissed! *not trish doller* :)