Tuesday, April 22, 2008

GOING GREEN

Just before I walked into the bathroom to adjust my lip-gloss, I heard someone call my name. Okay, not just someone. Conner.

I met his eyes as he approached and they twinkled. Yeah. Like seriously twinkled blue even under the dull light of the bar. Brandi giggled next to me.

“Meet you in there,” she said, pushing past me.

I actually admired her self-control. If someone I knew was about to make another complete fool of herself by talking to the guy that totally played her, I’d have watched her crash and burn. But not Brandi. She was so much sweeter than me.

“What do you want?” I asked Conner as he came to stand in front of me.

“You mean besides you?” He was grinning, not acting creepy. Just being adorable.

“Whatever, man.” I shook my head. “You lied to me about Trish,” I said finally. “And you ignored me at school. I climbed a damn rock for you!” It had to be said.

Conner exhaled and leaned his shoulder against the wall, bending down to get a little closer to my face. “I knew if I told you about Trish, you’d never go out with me and I really like you.”

“So you ignore me?”

“I didn’t want her to find out.”

“It’d be hard for her to notice anything with your tongue rammed down her throat.” And how I wished it were my throat being assaulted.

“Stella,” he said with a smile. “This doesn’t have to be hard. We can still see each other.” He paused and looked me over. “On the side.”

No. He. Didn’t.

“All right, everyone,” a voice called through the speakers. I looked toward the stage and saw Brandi’s brother trying to block out the light as he looked into the crowd. My heart sped up a little.

Becker laughed. “This is probably going to sound really lame, but I’m trying to impress a girl.” The entire bar awwwwwed. “But I can’t find her.”

My face caught on fire. Was he…no. He couldn’t be.

“Stella!” he screamed like he was Marlon Brando. Something every adult thought was hilarious. Only this time, it was freaking awesome.

I turned to Conner, his mouth hanging open, his eyes staring toward the stage. Nice.

“See you around,” I said. Then I jogged forward into the crowd and toward Becker.
.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

<3 <3 <3 yet again!

I can't wait for Trish to go all crazy.

~Dreamer

cyn said...

you have such great voice, girl. totally envious of that!!!

brittanimae said...

My favorite line in a movie ever. You win!

keri mikulski :) said...

Good stuff, Suzanne. Can't wait to read more. :)