Sunday, June 8, 2008

GOING GREEN

Conner took me to the river. We climbed out of his Jeep and he threw a backpack over his shoulder as I followed behind him. There was a picnic table next to the water. Seriously. You wouldn’t have found anything like this in Arizona. No, Oregon was way more into… being outside.

In the backpack was a bunch of food. Bananas, cookies, warm soda. At least he'd tried. We sat at first, next to each other, not saying anything. It was nice being here with him. It was quiet except for the sounds of nature.

“So…” he began. “Are you dating Becker?”

“So… Are you jealous?” Because my answer depended on his. Not that Conner had any rights to me. He had a girlfriend.

“I am,” he said. “I’m pretty jealous.” He laughed and peeled a banana, taking a bite and then offering it to me. Right. Like I was going to act out some fantasy of his.

“No, thanks.” I pushed his hand away. A moment passed and I had to know. “You and Trish broke up?”

He seemed to gag on his fruit. “Um…” He coughed.

My mouth fell open. “You have got to be kidding me.” I raised my voice. “You.. you’re still dating Trish? Liar!” I pushed his shoulder. I looked around the table, realizing that I was nowhere near my house.

“I don’t want to be with her,” he whined, trying to take my hand. “I want you, Stella. I told you that.”

I slapped his hand and pulled mine out. “What is your deal? Stop messing with me. Just leave me alone.”

“I can’t.”

My heart was racing and Conner’s face was so close. So beautiful. Damn. I was going to hate myself in the morning.

I leaned forward and kissed him. But I was still pissed.
.

4 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

I checked your blog out from the verla kay boards. love the going green story line! I'll be back to read more.:0)

Christy

J.J. Carrera said...

I'm sensing a cat fight on the horizon. This makes me happy.

<3

SuzanneYoung said...

It wouldn't be a SY story without a good cat fight! ;)

brittanimae said...

I gotta say, Stell could use a bit of judgement training. Of course if she already had it she wouldn't be so fun to read about.