Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Going Green...

So… the fight went on for about three and half more seconds. That was when Principal Pelli grabbed me by the elbow and yanked me back. I’d say it was abusive, but at the time my fist was cocked back, aimed directly at Trish’s bloody nose.

Suspension. I figured as much. Trish was suspended too, but I highly doubted we’d be chatting during school hours.

After a call to my dad, I sat in the office, waiting for him to pick me up. Trish’s ride had already showed. But I think my father was trying to humiliate me more by taking his time.

“Hey.” There was a knock at the open office door and when I looked, my heart sped up. Conner.

“Don’t speak to me.”

He chuckled. “Aw, come on, Stella. You can’t be mad at me. I didn’t tell her.”

But I was thinking about how he told her I was ugly. Even if he was just saying that to make her feel better, it still hurt. Sort of like the bald spot on the back of my head.

“I came to check on you,” he said like it made him the sweetest guy on the planet.

“And now you can go.”

“I’ll take you home.”

I exhaled. “You’re ruining my life. Just leave me alone.”

Conner tilted his adorably blond head. “Do you really want me to?”

And I didn’t answer. Instead, I got up and left with him.
.

No comments: