Tuesday, December 30, 2008

DUDE!

I've been a writing machine lately. So I figured out how to keep my mojo rockin'. See, I used to write really fast and COMPLETE books. Lately, I've been writing about 50 pages and stopping. It's been a total downer.

But over the last week and a half, I've written 55 pages of my new book SICK AND TWISTED. I broke the spell. Know how?? I don't edit it! haha.

See, that's the thing. If I stop and go back, I'll see mistakes in the plot, start fixing them, get distracted and then... poof. The magic is gone.

So for this novel, I'm just writing away. When it's all done, I'll read it. Then decide where the plot needs to be expanded and fleshed out.

What works for you?

6 comments:

Steve said...

I'm the exact same way, always have been. I can't even count how many novels I've started and abandoned before reaching 30k or so. But recently I came up with the same plan, and I've got just about 40k words down now, and don't plan to stop. It's working really well.

Trish Doller said...

Welcome back, Suz's mojo!

Heather said...

well, that and knowing that you'll have to turn something in on Sunday....

Christina Farley said...

Oh I'm the same. I have to just write as fast as I can. If I stop then I second guess myself and then I just know I'll give up.

No turning back baby!

Thomas Kingsley Troupe said...

It's called Fast Drafting, yo. Catch the fever!

That's how I do it, too. Seriously. If you look back, it's nothin' but trouble. Ever hear of those poor souls that spend 5 years writing ONE book?

Yeah. They look back and edit while writing. Suckers!

One Womans Eye said...

Thanks for this! I am the same way. If I think too much about where I am going, I go nowhere. I started thinking a few weeks ago and have not been able to write a word since. Thank you for breaking the spell for me too !