Tuesday, December 23, 2008

GOING GREEN (the story blog)

As I walked off my porch, I looked over to see Conner standing on the sidewalk. He was a few houses down with his arms crossed over his chest. He looked furious. Idiot.

He was probably on his way over to try to sneak me out, and instead, I was sneaking out with Becker. Yeah, I felt really bad about that. Hah!

I tossed my hair over my shoulder and strutted to the car. I didn’t normally strut, especially at school where everyone hated me, but right now, it just felt good. As soon as I dropped in the seat, Becker cleared his throat.

I looked over at him, not sure what to expect. He was biting his lip, trying not to smile.

“Shut up,” I said, laughing.

“Two things. First, you look beautiful.”

I met his eyes and felt a rush of warmth slide over me. He’d said it sweetly, not like when Conner said it. Becker was just talking, not trying to talk me into anything.

“What’s the second thing?” I asked softly.

He looked out the window. “I’ll give you twenty bucks if you hit Conner with this when I drive past him.” He grabbed an air freshener off his rear view mirror.

“I think it’ll just flap in the wind.” But I was grinning from ear to ear. The thought of assault was oddly appealing.

“You can try to whip it like a ninja death star…” he said under his breath as he started his car. I laughed and took it from his hands shaking my head.

“Ninja death star?”

He shrugged.

The window was already down and as we drove down the street, Conner didn’t try to hide the fact that he was staring. In fact, he flipped me off.

I squinted my eyes, gripped the air freshener and flung it as hard as it could.

It made a satisfying ping as it bounced off his forehead. And as he yelled, I rolled up the window, leaned back in the seat, and held out my hand.

“You owe me twenty bucks.
.

4 comments:

Katie said...

This is a great scene!

Suzanne Young said...

Haha. Thanks, Katie! I know plenty of guys that need to get hit in the head with an air freshener every once in a while. lol. :)

Lapillus said...

Haha! Love it!

brittanimae said...

I'm with Katie--love this scene.