Thursday, December 4, 2008

You say it's your birthday?!

It’s my birthday, too! No, really. It is!! On Friday. The big 2-5. Kidding. I’m 32. And before I talk about my daughter’s distrust of bunnies, I wanted to ask a writing question. I know! Weird.

Conferences. Are they important to up and coming authors? I have sort of a strange take on it. I went to my first conference last year in LA. It was a blast!! I didn’t attend many of the workshops… Sorry! Luckily I had sold my book, so I went to the few that had to do with maintaining your career and such. Anyway, for me, the point of the conference was meeting other writers. Not even in a networking way, in a friend way. And I came away with some fantastic new friends! Waves!

It was a great experience. Then I also went to a blogger conference in Portland. What fun! I met a great group of folks (again, too many to list) and actually did learn some things. Like… about blogging. Lol.

So what I’m wondering is, do you think conferences are important? And if so, what do you use them for? Good… or evil. Heh heh. Guess which side I’m on!

Have a great day everyone!!

PS. Oh, and my daughter and I walked through the pet store yesterday. She said, “I want to pet the bunnies. They are sooo cute and soft!”

Gross. But I said okay and led her to the tubs they were in. Frolicking. I lifted Sophie up so that she could lean in to pet them.

She screamed. I nearly dropped her in the pit of bunnies!!

“What? Oh my God, WHAT?” I set her down and she backed away.

“That bunny,” she said, pointing at the fluffy white things, still frolicking. “Is evil! His eyes are red and he was trying to kill me!”

I mean, I was there, and I’m pretty sure the bunny was nowhere near her. “He’s not evil.”

“Oh, yeah?” she asked, her hands on her hips. “Then why does he have blood eyes?”

I laughed too hard to answer.
-Suz


13 comments:

Heather said...

It's all about the zombie bunnies.

Happy Birthday. Welcome to 32, nice to have you join us. ;)

Jill Wheeler said...

*creeped out by the scary bunny*


Happy birthday on Friday!!

Graeme Stone said...

Congrats on 32!
And I know why I go to conferences...to meet Evil Bunnies!

Seriously, I go for the camaraderie, and in the hopes of connecting to an agent, or at least getting a look at Mark McGuire's new outfits.

Alice said...

Did no one see the musical episode of Buffy? Bunnies! It must be bunnies!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjIzLvyoTIs&feature=related

Steve said...

First, props to Alice for the shout out to Anya(nka) fans.
Second, happy birthday from a new blog reader.
And third and final, I've only been to one conference (SCBWI, Minnesota, 2008), and it was pretty life-changing. I'm looking forward to NY in January pretty heavily.

Amy said...

Well, Happy Birthday!

What conference did you attend in Portland?

Suzanne Young said...

Thanks, everyone. Hm, I must have mixed up my numbers. Because I feel 23....

I love the vid Alice! haha.

And Amy, I went to the Kidlit Blogger Conference.

Beckie said...

LOL I love Sophie!

P.S. Happy birthday!

Vodka Mom said...

That was adorable! And, Happy Birthday.

(by the way, I'M the one with the evil bunny. He runs around loose in the classroom and eats EVERYTHING he can get his paws on. I am currently browsing the internet for rabbit stew recipes! )

Kelly said...

I went to my first conference recently and it was well worth the time and money! I liked talking to other writers who understand the competitive and isolated nature of the biz!
CONGRATS Suzanne on being Blog of the Week! Well deserved!

Kelly said...

Oh yeah, Happy 32! :0)

lkmadigan said...

You might want to avoid reading BUNNICULA to her when she's older.

Happy birthday!

Lisa

Shelli said...

How old is your littel girl. I have a 5 year old and the things that come out of her mouth are funny. Our dog died last spring. The other day she was looking at the sky. I said what are you looking at: she said "Connor. He lives on cloud 61." so sweet.
I go to cnferences to soak up the energy and be around a bunch of writers. Nothing gets me motivated more. Course, Id love the meet "the one" (agent I mean :) but I got for friends and craft.
shelli
http://faeriality.blogspot.com/