Tuesday, January 20, 2009

GOING GREEN (the story blog)

To catch up on the story, check the side links. :)

GOING GREEN

Becker was sweet on the way home from the bowling alley. He even bought me a chocolate milkshake because he felt so bad that I was shirtless. Right. I’m sure he felt awful.

When he pulled up at the curb in front of my house, I sipped from my drink, wanting to keep my lips occupied.

“I hope you had fun,” he said with a grin. I nodded.

It wasn’t that I hadn’t had fun. It wasn’t even that I didn’t want to kiss him. It was just that… I didn’t feel like kissing him now. Right now all I wanted was to get into my pajamas and think. Think about how I was going to go to prom with a cute guy that I wasn't sure I liked. And how I was going to spend the night staring at Conner and his stupid adorable face.

“Call me later,” I said quickly and got out. It may have been a little rude, but honestly, the longer I sat there, the more trapped I felt.

I couldn’t go to prom. I couldn’t do this to myself.

As I climbed on the porch, my cell phone rang. I pulled it out and put it to my ear. “Hello?”

“Hey.” It was Becker. “You’re not going to back out of the prom, are you?”

I spun around to look at him, still sitting in his car and talking to me on the phone. He waved.

“Not sure." I waved back. Really, there was no reason to lie to him. He knew about Conner.

“I hope you’ll go.” His voice was soft. “And I promise, I’ll wear leopard print boxers and show everyone, just so we’re even.”

I laughed and turned back to my door to go inside my house. “You are an idiot.”

“Yeah. I heard you like those.”

“Oh,” I said. “You have no idea.”

We both hung up and as I got in the house my dad popped up from the sofa. “Hey, kid.”

“Hi.”

Then he looked me over and noticed that I was holding my shirt closed.

“Um… Do I need to go grab the bat?” He pointed to the garage.

“Naw. It was a bowling accident.”

My father touched at his chest in shock. “You… went bowling?” He could barely contain his laughter.

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever, Dad. I’m sure you were oh-so-cool when you were in high school.”

“I was totally groovy.”

“Wow.” I walked toward the stairs when my father called after me.

“Hey,” he said. “This was on the porch for you when I got home.” He reached over to the entry table and handed me a sealed envelope with my name on it. I stared at it and then at my father.

“You didn’t open it?” I asked.

“You’re proud, huh?”

“Definitely.”

With him still standing there, I tore open the seal and pulled out a folded piece of paper. Carefully, I straightened it out and read the handwriting in the middle.

Call me. I miss you.
-Conner

My eyes immediately began to tear and I crumpled up the paper and shoved it into my pocket. I sniffled and looked up at my dad. He pointed toward the garage.

“Bat?”

I shook my head. “Maybe later.”
.

3 comments:

Shelli said...

love this. I need to catch up. I love the pic too!

Lapillus said...

No! She was finally getting it right. Becker sweet! Conner tool!

Can't wait for more. : )

brittanimae said...

Girls!