Monday, May 18, 2009

Washington SCBWI Conference: Day 2

So here are a few more pictures. I have to say, this conference has gotten me so excited to go to LA this year. It was amazing to be surrounded by writers and other people in the business. People that get you.
The breakout sessions were fantastic--and very funny (I'm looking at you, Jon Scieszka!) And honestly, it was one of those experiences that made me think, Damn. I have the best job in the world. :-)

How I felt the next morning after... writing so much.



The wonderful carpool crew! Laini Taylor, Jim Di Bartolo and Emily Whitman



A picture to show I wasn't excessively smiling the ENTIRE time.



Why, yes. That is the amazing Nathan Bransford. As an aside, can I just say, he is the nicest, most humble person I met. Unbelievably charming and smart. I was very happy to put a face to the blog.
Huh. Not sure how I got to be first in line for Adam Rex to sign my book... but I was pretty stoked about it!
What an awesome group to hang with! Liz Gallagher, Holly Cupala, Jolie Stekly, Jim Di Bartolo and Laini Taylor.
Me and Jolie snuck out to enjoy some sunshine
Before I was assaulted with a lemon. I'm not naming names....
Hangin' at the wine and cheese party with the Stinky Cheese Man himself
Me and Jennie, taking notes....
Go Team SCBWI, Go!
So, I'm not the most thorough conference goer... but I always have a good time. I love to chat and meet people (I won't mention the severe social anxiety disorder) and for me, that's what I enjoy most. I attended a bunch of workshops and loved them. I tweeted some tidbits, but mostly, it was the inspiration I took away from them. A desire to make my career last forever.
Because writing ROCKS!

14 comments:

Rena said...

Sounds like you've been having a great time. :)

Christy Raedeke said...

Green. With. Evny.

Christy Raedeke said...

Oh yeah - and PLEASE explain the Tweet about manuscript honors!!! I know you're too humble to mention it unless I make you...

Suzanne Young said...

OH, Sorry! The manuscript honors were for those who got an evalutaion at the conference. And guess who was honored??? JENNIE!!!!

YAY!

sraasch said...

Yay!! Oh, I'm glad you had fun! Looks like it was a BLAST!

CocoaStomp said...

FOR THE LAST TIME:
I'M SORRY about squirting lemon into BOTH your eyes and the offer still stands that you may squirt any member of the citrus family into my ocular cavities to make up for it.

I'm SOOOO glad you and the Taylor/Di Bartolo/Whitman crew made it up here! Even if it meant temporarily blinding you!

Jennie Englund said...

So now I'm wondering...

Do you think having that much fun at a writing conference was actually LEGAL?

Suzanne Young said...

Jennie, only in Washington and Oregon.

I forgive you, Jaime. I forgive you. :-)

Cuppa Jolie said...

Always fun when we get together. Can't wait for the crazy-fun that will be L.A.!

Heather Zundel said...

You met Nathan Bransford?! Can I say how incredibly cool that is? And with that smile, how can he not melt every person's heart. So glad you had so much fun.

PurpleClover said...

Incredibly cool Suz! I'm so jealous! And I bet all that hard work paid off!

Laini Taylor said...

Had a great time hanging out with you, Suzanne! Wish we could come to LA too!

(who assaulted you with a lemon??!!??)

brittanimae said...

Yowza! The envy. It oozes from my ears (I didn't expect it to be so slimy).

Great posts--thanks for sharing!

Joan said...

Isn't Jon the craziest guy? I met him at ALA last June. Joan