Tuesday, November 24, 2009

And she will Twinkle no more...

Today was a tragic day in the Young household. Our fish, Twinkle, passed away. To be honest, I'm not sure how she lived this long. I mean, between my forgetting to feed her and the kids overfeeding her, she was a trooper.

And coincidentally, my husband cleaned her bowl yesterday. Not that I'm blaming him! It's just... I don't know. Suspicious. :-)

Well, I was a little sad when I saw her lying at the bottom of her rocket ship bowl (especially because I thought dead fish floated to the top?). But I didn't expect the kids to melt down. And melted they did.

The poor things SOBBED into their chicken all through dinner. Sophie asked if she could hold Twinkle once more. And I thought, "When did you hold her? Maybe that's why she's dead?" But my son was the saddest. He locked himself in his room and cried.

When Sophie decided to write Twinkle a song to sing at the funeral, I gave my husband "the look". The look that says, "I'm really comfortable on the couch. Can you please just handle this?"

Twenty minutes later we were gathered around a shallow grave in the yard, singing: "Twinkle was a happy fish." Did I mention that it's freezing out? And that the spot my husband chose pretty much guarantees that the dogs will dig Twinkle up and eat her? I just hope the kids aren't home for that.

Anyway, after we got in, my son laid on the couch, sniffling. The dog came over and licked his face and Joey murmured, "Thank God dogs live forever."

Yeah, I'm not touching that one.

13 comments:

Shannon Messenger said...

Okay, I know this is supposed to be a sad post but I was cracking up the entire time. Especially about the dogs digging up poor Twinkle. Not sure if that makes me a horrible person. :)

SO glad I found your blog--oh, and, um, sorry for your loss... :)

Suzanne Young said...

lol. Thanks, Shannon! And just now my son said, Mom, I can't go to school tomorrow. It'll remind me of Twinkle.

I'm starting to think they're looking for sympathy.

Karen said...

Okay, I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm about to pee my pants laughing.

julieduck said...

"I'm really comfortable on the couch. Can you please just handle this?"

Oh mama, we think alike on this one! Nice to know my sweet dead fishy, Gippy, now has a buddy in fish heaven with him.

- Julie

holly cupala said...

"Honey, why are you giggling?"

"Oh, nothing, just reading about Suzanne's dead fish..."

Olivia Carter said...

Oh goodness! That is SO FUNNY! Literally laughing out loud.

That's why fish are the worst. You think since you can't play with them your kids won't get attached. But they do and then poor fishies have such a short lifespan. It's just a terrible combo.

But thanks for the laugh!

Aimee said...

Sorry for the kiddos~ but yes, too funny.

Bri said...

I remember when my fish died... I cried like a baby! I only had him for a year but he was so charismatic! He freaked out whenever it rained, he would stare right back at me when I stared at him. I miss him. I know how your kids feel but they will get over it, especially with the dogs there. Though I just had to laugh at that last line "Thank God dogs live forever." :)

Janet Spaeth said...

LOVED this post!

Please tell me you're not serving fishsticks tonight.....

Suzanne Young said...

Oh, Janet. That is so cruel. You give me ideas....

Actually my son came into my room last night, sobbing. He said he couldn't stop thinking about Twinkle. That he just wanted her back.

I asked him if it would help if we went and got a new fish. He said, "It won't be Twinkle. There will never be another Twinkle."

?? Dude, I don't think my kids love ME this much! We might get a kitten instead.

Janet Spaeth said...

Yeah, that's good, Suzanne. Because kittens never die either. *Nods wisely*

Suzanne Young said...

HAHAHA! Honestly, my dogs might eat it and then I'd have to sing another song at nine o'clock at night. Good point. lol

Lisa and Laura said...

That last line is priceless! RIP Twinkle. RIP.