Wednesday, March 17, 2010

It's In His Kiss...

Today's Guest Post is from fantastic author, TRISH DOLLER!!!! You'll be seeing more from her soon, but if you're not following her yet on her blog or on Twitter, you should start! She's awesome!! Take it away!



Since Suzanne left me in charge of the blog today, let’s talk about... kissing! Specifically, kissing in YA novels. Recently Heidi Kling and Josh Berk held the Smoochie Awards for the best kisses of 2009 and some really awesome books won. But I’m going to share some of my favorite YA kisses (in no particular order):


1. Then he kissed me. He touched the sides of my face, my neck, and the rested his hand on the small of my back, pulling me closer, and my whole body burned. He tasted like cinnamon, which surprised me because I’d just seen him eating a burger, and then I realized he must have eaten a mint or something and it just...melted me.


2. He leans toward me, and whatever I thought I was going to say dries up and flies away, lost in his eyes. In what I see in them. “Dani.” he says, and then he kisses me. He kisses me and I kiss him back and when we separate I feel like the whole world has tilted sideways. I feel like I’m seeing it for the very first time.


3. When I turn around, he cups my face in his hands and he kisses me so deeply that I don’t know who is breathing for who, but his mouth and tongue taste like warm honey. I don’t know how long it lasts, but when I let go of him, I miss it instantly.


4. “Give me a kiss,” he whispered. “You know, for the crowd.” I’d kiss him, all right. I’d kiss him good and plenty. I licked my more-than-eager lips and got up on my tiptoes to press them to his. I was so happy he’d touch my mouth again that I balled up his jersey in my hands and pulled him closer to me.


5. I smiled, and then, in the middle of Tallyho, in the middle of the night, in the middle of everything, Eli kissed me. It was not at all how I’d imagined it happening, and yet totally perfect anyway.


Smoocherific, huh?


You’ll notice that I didn’t identify the books. Why? Because I don’t want to spoil it for anyone who hasn’t read them yet. But if you’re paying attention--and you’re smart enough to have read The Naughty List--you’ll know one of them was written by Suzanne Young. And if you haven’t read TNL yet...Lingonberry Jelly! What are you waiting for?!


P.S. If you’re dying to know which books contain my favorite kisses, DM me on Twitter @TrishDoller and I’ll tell you.


THANKS, Trish!!! And be sure to visit Trish's blog!!!!

11 comments:

Christina Farley said...

Oh! I really enjoyed reading all of these different kissing scenes. They were delcious!

Jennie Englund said...

Serious good tips.

I have to know the books from where all that kissing came.

#5 is my fave.

Jen said...

I love guest blogs!!! How much fun are kissings scenes... uh SO MUCH FUN!!!

Jemi Fraser said...

Wow - those scenes are fun! Makes me want to go search out all the books in the bookstore :)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Okay, I need my husband. NOW! Those were yummy kisses.

Adele said...

Awwwww Jonah

Trish Doller said...

Adele, I *knew* you'd recognize that!

jberk said...

kissing is gross.

Suzanne Young said...

Love this post! Anything involving makeouts has my vote!

And Josh has cooties.

Hannah said...

How fun!
I recognized maybe three of the five, but the other two makes me REALLY want to read em'.
Spicy. ;)
Love, Hannah S.

Wyman Stewart said...

I liked # 4 best for its aggressive attitude, comic movie-like quality, and its potential real life possibility. Guy gets more than he was expecting, so there are two emotions in one at play in this kiss.

# 1 not only starts with the line of an old song title, but this kiss by analysis...Is she a Fembot-like android? Give me the song!

# 2 is okay, but 1 and 2 seem to be dating guys who have had lots of practice and not with them, mind you!

# 3 is not only dating a guy who has learned by kissing every girl in sight, she needs the Robert Palmer song "Addicted To Love."

# 5 is obviously dating, who else, Malcolm In The Middle, who has changed his name to Eli, so his real girlfriend won't know he's fooling around.

Okay, okay! Yeah, I know more about Kissinger (Henry) than teenage romantiholic gals. But those boyfriends have been around!

No offense intended to any author or character. Just attempting a humorous look at something I realize is out of context. But I do wonder how influenced teenage girls are by such scenes or if they are laughable because today's teen life has gone far beyond these scenes? Yes, I'm a guy. Is it that obvious?