Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Novel Graveyard

I'm always writing, like... always. As a result I have a novel graveyard. It's populated by finished, almost finished, and partly finished books. I get sad when I go in there, poking around. Sometimes I think, I can still use this!! But nope. I see now that they were just ways I was teaching myself to write.

But, I've finally found a use for them. At least for a little while. I'm going to post an excerpt a week from one of my novel graveyard books. So come back next Wednesday for the next installment! Keep in mind, these are ROUGH, UNEDITED BOOKS. So don't be scared :-)

The first sacrifice to the blogging gods comes from the distant past of 2007. It's:

WRONG ANSWER

Chapter 1

“Psst…”

Was that for me? I kept my eyes on the Math test, but the lead of my pencil stayed fixed on the space below the equals line.

“Psst… ” Even louder.

Without making any sudden movements, (I didn’t want to look stupid by assuming it was for me), I slid my pupils to the corners of my eyes. Shoot. It was for me.

“Number four,” Nathan Wright whispered.

Of course. Why else would he speak to me unless he was trying to cheat? Nathan wasn’t exactly into smart chicks. Unless of course I had the D cups of Franchesta Horowitz. Which I didn’t. Nope. Divide them by two.

“Corinne,” he hissed. “Number four.”

Nervousness twisted my stomach. I wanted to tell him to piss off, but at the same time, it was exciting to see him looking sideways at me. The way his dark hair spiked out and his blue eyes narrowed deviously, making him hot in that dangerous, on-parole sort of way. I turned to him.

As our eyes met, he smiled. That crooked sly way a guy grins when he wants something. I melted a little.

“No,” I said. I wasn’t that melty.

His mouth opened, then he snapped it shut to clench his jaw. After a glance to the front at the haplessly distracted Mrs. Hornsby, Nathan leaned on his desk, ducking behind the guy in front of him.

“Number four,” he said slowly.

“I heard you.” I matched his tone. “But I’m not giving you the answer.” Okay. I could have just given it to him. I mean, it wasn’t a hard question. But for some reason, the fact that he expected me to just hand it over pissed me off. He may have every other girl at Washington High wrapped around his…pinky. But not me. Nathan Wright was eye candy. Nothing more.

I stared as his tongue darted out to lick his bottom lip. It looked delicious. I would lick it too if I were him. He sat back in his seat, glaring. This was the point where I needed to look away, only I couldn’t. He was hypnotizing me with his hotness.

His eyes traveled over my face, looking slowly down my body, then back up, pausing at my mouth. When he finally met my stare, I felt like I’d lost my virginity during a Calculus test. I was breathing quickly.

And then, as if all was forgiven, he winked. Sigh.

Nathan went back to staring down at his test and I watched him, surprised he’d given up, shocked that he’d checked me out, and flipping stunned that he’d used his gorgeous left eye to communicate with me.

“X equals twenty-five,” I blurted in a whisper. Wow. I was absolutely lame.

“Thanks, Corinne.” He smiled but didn’t look up. I waited a second, still tingling from my touch-free erotic moment, then I went back to my test.

But I couldn’t think of one more damn answer.

12 comments:

Amy Baskin said...

What a great flippin' idea. Can't wait!

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

Great idea! I have tons of stories from years ago that make me cringe now when I look at them. But it's always really awesome to see how much you've grown as a writer, ya know?

Heather Hansen said...

on-parole sort of way

*GRIN*

Jen said...

Awesome idea!!! I'll be checking in every week!!! Who doesn't love a new trend!

TH said...

"When he finally met my stare, I felt like I’d lost my virginity during a Calculus test."

This line was genius. You should totally take this story and run with it -- it has a ton of potential and great voice. I would definitely keep reading!

Maybe it doesn't have to be a novel graveyard, after all??

best of luck!!

TH

Beverley BevenFlorez said...

Ha ha ha, I love the end of your excerpt. Some guys are just too hot for their own good.

Daisy Whitney said...

Oh my god, I so remember when you shared this chapter with me more than a year ago! At least I think that's when I saw it!

Kim Harrington said...

"He was hypnotizing me with his hotness."

LOVE IT!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Hey great idea. Mine, though, are going to remain hidden in the graveyard.

I love the cover for your third novel. I can't wait to read #2 and 3. I loved The Naughty List. :D

Elana Johnson said...

What a great idea! My novel graveyard is littered with stuff. :)

Lisa Green said...

Love the idea - but you're going to drive me nuts! I want to hear the rest of the story!!!

Lea (YA Book Queen) said...

Aw, Corinne! Don't give him the answer!! Lol, love this story...off to read more :)