Friday, March 19, 2010

The Novel Graveyard

I'm putting up a novel graveyard post a little early this week. Hope you don't mind. I was planning on moving on to another story, but I got a fantastic email from a reader who begged for a little more of WRONG ANSWER. It turns out, I do have a little more of it, but I wasn't sure if I should share it. I sometimes write out of sequence, and in this case, I jumped ahead in the story.

To catch up on WRONG ANSWER, first check out the posts HERE. (These are excerpts from unfinished manuscripts that have been sitting lonely in my files. They are unedited.)

WARNING: This has racy content. If you are sensitive to this type of thing, please look away. :-)

WRONG ANSWER (continued)

“Let me kiss you,” he said, his blue eyes deep, intense.

“No.” I shook my head. This couldn’t happen. There was nothing good that could come from his tongue tangling with mine in the dressing room of a store. In fact, that would be horribly trashy. Hot, but trashy.

Nathan stared at me, then he reached out to grasp the bottom of my t-shirt, using the fabric to pull me toward him. My breaths were short, nervous. He licked his lips, wrapping my shirt into his fist until I was against him, his hand on my stomach.

We watched each other, but neither of us moved. The store music continued to hum the instrumental version of a song I’d never heard, but all I could hear was Nathan’s breathing.

“Let me kiss you,” he whispered.

I shook my head, even though my face was tilted up to him, my eyes feeling heavy with desire.

Nathan leaned down, pausing just as he lips grazed mine. “I’m going to kiss you anyway, okay?”

“Okay.”I was so weak-willed.

I stood as his mouth pressed against mine, warm and soft. I knew that I should do something with my arms, but instead they just hung at my side while Nathan moved his hand from the bottom of my shirt to grab me by the waist band of my jeans, pulling me into him. I jumped.

“Wait," I said, pushing him back, putting my palm over my tingling lips. I was mid-heart attack. I was even starting to sweat. But as Nathan smiled, I rolled my eyes. "Never mind." I grabbed him and pressed my mouth to his. I knotted my fingers in his hair as he pushed me into the dressing room, bumping me against the mirror.

His tongue touched gently at mine, but then he moved away to kiss at my neck. I kept my eyes closed, mostly because I was trying to block out the fact that I was making out in the dressing room of a TARGET!

But I couldn’t stop. It was dangerous. Stupid. My dad was sitting just outside the dressing room, probably trying to figure out how long it took to decide on a pair of jeans.

“Lock the door,” Nathan whispered, nibbling on my ear, possibly contemplating all the different ways he could do me and still see the reflection.

Damn. I had to go. Finally finding something for my hands to do, I put them on his chest and pushed him back. He stumbled against the bench, staring at me deviously. He sat down and patted his lap, like I would sit on it. He was crazy. I was even crazier for being here with him.
I opened my mouth to tell him goodbye but Nathan grinned so I just spun around, and walked through the slotted wooden door.

“Hey,” he called after me, sounding surprised.

But I didn’t turn because I’d just made out with Nathan Wright and God help me…I liked it.
My dad stood up from the lounge chair the minute I walked out of the red TARGET doorway arches.

“Where’s your pants?” he asked.

I gasped and looked down, but I was wearing my pants. What the hell was he talking about? I thought maybe I’d blacked out and missed the best part.

“Did they not fit?” He crinkled his brow and I realized he was speaking of the jeans I’d brought into the dressing room with me. Yeah. I had no clue where they were, let alone if they were my size.

“No, Dad,” I said, motioning toward the exit. “They weren’t my style.”My father shrugged, giving me the I-have-no-fashion-sense look as we made our way back into the aisle. There was a low whistle behind me, but I walked a little faster and when we got into the parking lot, I sighed.

Then I touched my lips with my fingers and smiled.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Oh my gosh that was super good!!!! Me likey! Thanks for posting early!

Kirsten said...

Haha, this is great. The setting is so unusual and hilarious; it really does a lot for the scene!

Lisa said...

Wooohooo! Is it a wee bit hot in here? (fans self) Very fun exceprt! Love that they made out in a Target dressing room. HIlarious!

Jemi Fraser said...

I love her reaction to "Where are your pants?" Hysterical :)

C.A. Marshall said...

I wrote a post today, and you're in it! http://camarshall.blogspot.com/2010/03/sunshine-award.html

Hannah said...

Wow, that Nathan sounds hot!
Love, Hannah S.