Friday, September 10, 2010

How Lois Duncan made me cry...

Before becoming a writer, I used to teach 7th and 8th grade language arts and literature. It was the highlight of my time in Arizona because I adored my students. ADORED. It was difficult at first because their reading levels posed a challenge, but one thing changed the course of the year--Lois Duncan's books. I'm not sure if you've read Summer of Fear, Down a Dark Hall, I Know What you Did Last Summer, but Duncan's books are pure fun. Mysterious. Awesome.

When I ordered a class set for my 8th graders, we started reading, students taking turns. A lot of them never considered reading for fun (this was before Twilight days). By the end of the week, they were riveted, asking me to read to them, actually stealing the books so they could finish it at home because they didn't want to wait to find out what happened. The minute we finished, they wanted the next book. Then the next. It was amazing to watch.

So when a few months ago an editor asked if any authors would like to contribute a blurb for the re-release of Lois Duncan's books, I jumped at it. I didn't ACTUALLY expect to make it in there, I mean... she's Lois Freaking Duncan!

And then yesterday I received a package and inside were the three titles, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Killing Mr. Griffin, and Don't Look Behind You, with their shiny new covers. I thought it was insanely sweet that the editors at Little,Brown would send them since the books don't come out until next month. That was enough to make my day.

I looked inside at the blurbs on the inside page and saw greats like: Walter Dean Myers, R. L. Stine, JUDY BLUME!, Jenny Han, Chris Crutcher, and more... and then.... I saw ME! Let me be overly dramatic for a second...

I gasped, tears springing to my eyes. "Oh my God!" I grabbed the next book and looked inside, ME AGAIN! I laughed like a crazy person. Checked the third one-Yes!! Tears rolled down my cheeks, not just because my name was there... but because my name was in LOIS DUNCAN'S book, and that meant so much to me. It was like my life had come full circle!!

My blurb?

"Haunting and suspenseful--Duncan's writing captures everything fun about reading!" -Suzanne Young, author of The Naughty List series and A Need so Beautiful

And that is why Lois Duncan made me cry....


Lois Duncan's books will be re-released October 5th, 2010.

9 comments:

Amy Baskin said...

God, that made me happy to read! You go, girl! Now I've got to go get me some Lois Duncan. I'm embarrassed to compulsively admit I haven't read any of her books. Yet.

Erinn said...

That's a fantastic story. You're famous! More so than you were already.

Kari (Flamingo1325) said...

Suzanne!! Ahh! Congrats!!! I am so happy for you. I read Don't Look Behind You a long while ago... but I think I just might have to buy all three of these now.... =D

OneLuckyMom said...

How wonderful! What an honor!

Cinette said...

I have dreams of seeing my name in a book blurb, so I can imagine the thrill you speak of. Congrats, darlin', you've worked to put yourself there!

http://cinettesmusings.blogspot.com/

Jill of The O.W.L. said...

Sooooooooo coool!!! I love Lois Duncan. Daughters of Eve and Down a Dark Hall my two favs.

N.Newcombe said...

WOWZERS. Congrats! I too haven't read any of Duncan, but you've motivated me to seek those books out. ;)

Emily a.k.a WilowRaven : ) said...

So so awesome! Congratulations Suzanne. I would have cried too!

amber d said...

How cool is that?! I used to LOVE reading Duncan in high school. Now I want to go read the books again!