Monday, July 21, 2014

Fiction

I saw a comment recently about The Program, stating that it's impossible for suicide to be contagious. That I was irresponsible for suggesting it could be, even if my book is fiction. Research it. Google suicide clusters and look at the articles. I do write fiction. I took a situation and spun it into a make-believe world.

Here are a few I quickly pulled, but ultimately, I wish people would remember that their experiences aren't the only experiences that people can have. Your depression is not my depression. Your brush with suicide does not negate mine. Just my thought for today. 

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/media-spotlight/201208/when-suicides-come-in-clusters

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/05/01/newspaper-suicide-clusters/8573239/

http://news.yahoo.com/teen-suicide-clusters-linked-newspaper-reports-071059205.html

http://www.nasponline.org/resources/principals/suicide_clusters_NASSP_Sept_%2009.pdf

If you or someone you know needs help, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can be reached 24 hours a day at 800-273-TALK (8255)

5 comments:

purpleshadowhunter said...

Ok first if all IT IS FICTION like you said.Secondly whether it is contagious or not,it is an EPIDEMIC.And like they say misery loves company so yes it is possible for it to be contagious if a negative/low self~esteem/depressed person surrounds themselves with like minded people.Plus it's shown by the links you've provided it can be contagious.People need to learn/understand/see how prevalent depression/mental illness/suicide really is.Though you took a subject and elaborated on it to build a fictitious world it still shows insight to a fast growing phenomenon and I appreciate that.

Suzanne Young said...

Thank you so much for this :)

Wyman Stewart said...

I believe there is a simpler answer to this, which a novice author might offer as a starting place, except we live in an age of "instant reaction" instead of an age of "thoughtfulness". As I say, a starting place, for I have not read the book.

Krysten Quiles said...

I'm in the middle of The Program right now and loving it. It's such an interesting concept! And I think it's very believable. Teenagers especially seem prone to doing what their peers are doing. If suicide is "the thing" I can see how it could quickly become an epidemic. I mean heck, it's like those girls that form pregnancy pacts. "Everybody's doing it" and all that jazz.

I can't wait to see how it ends!

Dallas Holt said...

I totally agree with Jay Asher's review of your book. I haven't cried that much since reading Allegiant by Veronica Roth. I love your writing style.